It comes as no surprise that as social media channels evolve the type of content that we are now posting is also changing. In particular we can observe a recent shift from traditional text based social media posts to more visual content. For example social media sites like Pinterest and Instagram are beginning to take off and their popularity and effectiveness as marketing tools is dramatically increasing.
So why is visual content a success?
- images are often eye catching and striking and are a good means of attracting someone’s attention
- images can be a powerful tool for presenting brand awareness / promoting brand engagement
- visual content/ images are often retained in a person’s memory longer than a piece of text content
- images are a powerful / efficient means of getting a message across, as the old saying goes images really do speak a thousand words, images can instantly tell a story
- image based social media sites are beginning to generate more referral traffic to websites
- image focused social media posts that are accompanied by a short caption of text are often the most successful