Our top nine reasons for business e-mail marketing are:
1. Segmentation – you can deliver different messages to customers and readers tailored to their individual needs.
You can separate those who have bought from you onto one list, and those who are yet to buy onto another list. This is the most important segmentation.
You can further segment both your client list and your prospect list based on age, sex, location and income.
2. You can personalize every message – With e-mail you can write a message that addresses them by name in the title of the message, as a salutation, and several times in the body of the message.
3. Shelf life is longer than a tweet or Facebook ‘like’ – An e-mail remains in your customer’s inbox until they, either open or delete it (although most people will tend to open within the first 48 hours).
It is also simple for readers to forward your e-mail to everyone whom they think could benefit from reading it.
4. You don’t need to spend much – E-mail marketing is very inexpensive. You can host your e-mail list on your own computers or (a better option) use the services of a dedicated e-mail service such as aweber (which we use), GetResponse or others.
5. You control the design – All of the major services come with a variety of templates to get you started and, if you want to brand each e-mail with your own logo and company information, you can easily have a template customized for very little.
6. Statistics – with e-mail you are able to track click rates, open rates, bounces, subscribers, un-subscribes, social integration, activity on-site – you can view all of this and more.
You can even drill right down to an individual client and establish what they looked at so you know what messages and subjects they are interested in. This information used to take weeks and months to collect when posted mail was all that was available. Now you can have the same information in minutes.
7. E-mail is highly portable – your readers can view your e-mails on tablets, Smartphones or their desktop.
You can offer your subscribers the option to view a text-only version of the e-mail or full HTML designs.
8. You can build relationships inexpensively – you can send a welcome e-mail to new subscribers, wish them a happy birthday or give them a sneak peek of a new product or sale before you announce it publicly on the Internet.
Previously, sending such messages cost a lot of time and money in postage costs. Now it’s almost free.
9. Customer feedback – people will tell you things via e-mail that they won’t say in public or on the Internet, particularly if the issue is personal or price sensitive.
Using e-mail surveys or polls is an effective means of finding out what your customers and your prospects really think. Prospect surveys often reveal that your prospects haven’t bought from you because they didn’t understand your offer. You thought it was perfectly clear. They didn’t.
Now you have the opportunity to explain your offer again, in a new way …
About the author: Roy Preece has been teaching online sales techniques successfully for more than 10 years. Roy successfully trains people on e-mail marketing, Web marketing, article writing, affiliate marketing and joint ventures. For more information, visit http://emailmarketingbuddy.com/