In today’s society people don’t have time to aimlessly browse websites; people come to your site expecting to find what they want with ease. People make a judgement about whether they are going to continue to use a website within seconds, so if your website is poorly designed it is likely that you are losing potential customers instantaneously.
Here are some of the most common website “nuisances” that could be pushing your website users away:
- Cluttered web pages immediately put users off. Make sure your content can be read with ease by leaving adequate space between texts. If you have a piece of information that you particularly want to emphasise perhaps bold the text so that it stands out. Ensure that your USPs (Unique Selling Points) and call to actions are included on every page.
- Flashing graphics are a big no. They can often make your website look trashy and can distract users from the important content on your website.
- Is your site optimised for mobile? In this day and age this can be crucial to your business success. We live in a fast paced environment and people are commonly accessing websites from their smartphones and tablets. Therefore you will want to make sure that your website is optimised for use on mobiles so that you are not losing out on potential traffic.
- Slow loading time. As mentioned above people make the decision as to whether they are going to stay on your site in approximately 6-7 seconds. If your web pages are taking a long time to load not only are you losing precious time you are likely to be causing your users much frustration causing them to look elsewhere for an alternative site that perhaps functions at an optimal speed.
- Poor usability. Now that you have driven traffic through to your website it is important that you provide the best user experience. Make sure that your navigation is clear, simple and organised. Include clear headings such as Home, About Us, Products / Services, Contact us. If you are inserting any links, distinguish them from the rest of the content so that people know that they are clickable links.
Now that you know some of the most common things to avoid within your web design you might want to take a look this additional blog entry that takes a look at 3 fundamental factors that can make your website a success.