Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is a valuable, yet time-consuming process. It is important to optimise your online presence for the search engines so that your business ranks as highly as possible – higher rankings result in more website traffic and conversions – and there are a number of techniques that you can use to help speed up these organic listings. Google Places is a free tool from Google which allows you to pin-point the exact location of your business so that when someone is searching in the local area, they receive a list of relevant nearby businesses, with yours hopefully being one of them. This works particularly well for mobile searches, something that Google is really focusing on at the moment.
You can optimise your Google Places listing so that you are guaranteed a higher rank very simply:
1. Claim your listing – this removes the opportunity for anyone else to edit your listing so you know all the content within it will be correct.
2. Use keywords – this will make your business more available to your prospects but keep it simple and don’t overdo it! Ensure your chosen keywords are relevant to your business or this will have a detrimental effect to your ranking.
3. Include photos and videos – this will allow prospects to see the exact location of your business.
4. Include extra information – such as opening times, your website and contact details
5. Always keep your listing up to date – it is important to keep your information accurate so as not to confuse customers or Google
6. Reviews – feedback from your existing customers is a great way of marketing yourself to new ones.
Reviews are a form of user generated content which is something that Google looks for an increases websites’ rankings because of this. Google’s Business Reviews will be displayed next to your Places listing in both maps and in search so it is important to obtain several reviews from your clients and customers in order to appear more credible to both Google and prospects. According to an article by Rocket SEO, 63% of people are more likely to purchase from a site that has customer reviews.
If you find yourself without any reviews at this time, you should start by requesting reviews from satisfied clients and should any of your clients be a company that you also use for their services, you could encourage reviews by offering to provide a review for their business in return.
Top Tip: Make sure you don’t go overboard on your reviews as this can cause Google to rank your listing lower – it has to be genuine content.
For more information about optimising your Google Places listing, please contact WNW Digital today.