When starting a business there are a heck of a lot of things for you to consider… you probably found yourself asking the question “how am I going to get my business noticed, how are people going to know that my business exists?”. At WNW Digital we have one of many answers to that question and in this blog entry our answer happens to help you bring awareness of your business to hundreds if not thousands of people. In it’s simplest form our answer is SEO (search engine optimization).
So what does SEO involve?
Search engine optimization is a marketing strategy that concerns your website and more importantly getting your website listed in the top search results on search engines like Google. As a savvy business owner you should know that often people turn to the internet to search for what they are looking for.
For example, if you have just started a floristry business in Exeter if someone was to type in Exeter Florist or Florist in Exeter you would want your website to appear in the search results. Search engine optimization is all about driving targeted (people who are looking for a service like yours) traffic organically to your website.
How do I get my website to appear in the top spots on search engines?
Sadly, getting your website to the first page of search results and more importantly those crucial top spots involves a lot of hard work and there are likely to be other businesses similar to yours out there you need to essentially fend off the competition by showing search engines like Google why your website should appear first.
Here we discuss some of the SEO basics to help get you started and on route to a page one listing.
- Decide a set of keywords that are relevant to your business that you want to appear for when someone searches. Using my earlier example if you sell flowers, you would want the term florist be one of those keywords. However, when deciding on what your keywords are going to be you also need to consider how hard it is to appear for that keyword. For example, appearing on the first page for the word florist is going to be lot trickier than appearing on the first page for florist Exeter. You can do a simple check to see how hard it is going to be by googling your keyword and seeing how many results appear… if the answer is in the millions it’s probably best to avoid that keyword for the time being. When you are satisfied that you have around 10 good keywords it’s time for the next step.
Ensure your website is SEO friendly:
- If you want to get found for those keywords you have selected, you need to make sure that search engines can find those keywords on your website. Make sure your content includes the keywords.
- Updating your content on a regular basis with relevant content that is useful for humans will also be perceived as valuable by search engines and therefore you might want to commit to regular blogging.
- Completing your meta tags is also another important action. Meta Tags are used to help tell google what your page is about, this includes the title and the description that you see when you search for a keyword on google. This will need to be completed for all of your website’s pages.
- Make sure your website is mobile friendly… if your website isn’t going to appear correctly for all of those people that are now carrying out searches on their mobiles and tablets then Google isn’t going to want to list your website at the top as Google only wants to provide its users with valuable content.
- Create a google account including google places, google my business, google analytics and so on. The more google knows about your business the better. Google Places for example is easy to set up and is great for helping your website appear in local search results.
Of course it is important to note that appearing on page 1 is not something that happens over night and it is something you are going to have to be patient with. There is a lot more to SEO than noted in this blog entry and for the best results your SEO strategy needs to be applied consistently. If you require any more information, then get in touch with one of our SEO experts today.